Celebrate the 11th Anniversary of Miss Congeniality
Events editor Marcos Munoz brings you the latest on this weekend’s Congeniality Fest.
From the brave Americans who won the Alamo to J J Minkmeiner, who won the Riverwalk in a game of poker from Stephen F Austin in 1893, few things have captured the essence of San Antonio so effectively as Sandra Bullock’s 2000 classic, Miss Congeniality, which was filmed almost exclusively on our hallowed river and its parallel walk.
As San Antonians prepare to celebrate its 11th anniversary, Visit The Riverwalk is delighted to provide readers with a round-up of this weekend’s Congeniality Fest, proceeds of which will benefit the city’s Boxes For Birds charity.
Congeniality Fest – 10-11 June
It’s time to cancel whatever else you had planned this weekend and dust off that beauty pageant gown! If you’re a guy, you can wear jeans.
- 1pm: The Congenital Fest kicks off in the morning with a 1pm showing of the film, which will be projected from a dozen riverboats circling the Riverwalk. Organizers suggest a gently walking pace to keep up with the plot.
- 3pm: Screenwriter Marc Lawrence will be hosting a Q&A on the upper level of Starbucks. Always funny and controversial, Lawrence will be trying to defend himself from the disturbed pack of river lesbians who have tirelessly campaigned for another sequel. You’d think after seeing the first sequel that this is a bad idea.
- 6pm: the Arneson Theater’s stage manager will present some behind the scenes footage of the filming of “that scene” that they always mention on Riverboat tours. Attendees are asked to bring a cushion.
- 9pm: Waxy O’Grady’s authentic Irish pub will be extending regular happy hour and hosting a Miss Conguniality quiz night! Prizes include a copy of the DVD of the film signed by the bartender.
- Midnight: Club Rave is keeping it real with a $5 “under”-cover charge while local music master DJ Spiderhat mixes the Miss Congenital soundtrack with the crunk sounds of Ass Faster and the B-Lo So Solid Crew. Fun for the entire family especially since we’re told there’s a Coke special.
- 8am: The final day of Congenital Fest begins with an timely sermon from the Riverwalk Baptist Church with special reference to romantic comedies the growing need to fear the lord.
- Noon: over at La Villita, the town’s T-shirt and keyring tourism emporium, the San Antonio Writers Group will be composing comforting messages for Sandra Bullock. Follow the hashtag #welovesandra to experience the opposite of writers block.
- 3pm: The Genital Fest Closing Ceremony will crown our own Miss Congenerality from over two dozen local stunning babes. Judges will include 2008 Miss San Antonio quarter-finalist Erika Perez and native celebrity Tommy Lee Jones. Summer Glau unfortunately could not attend due to the opening of a Quiznos on Bandera.
With such a packed schedule, this year’s Fest promises to guarantee something special for everyone. Our hearts and minds are with Sandra Bullock during this very special commemorative celebration.
Event tickets are available at all good Riverwalk bookstores. Call 210-555-MISS to find the bookstores.